To define a template for an FTP server that is not supported by an existing definition or the Auto Detect mechanism, do the following:
1. Launch Beyond FTP or press if it is running.
2. Add the FTP server address book entry if it is not already present.
3. Expand the server and drive letter until a display of incorrect file information appears in the file viewer windows. You may have to expand the file name field to see all the information. You may also have to use the relative path setting.
4. Right click the server name and select edit.
5. Select Advanced .
6. Select Manage FTP Server Types .
7. Select Add and enter a name for this server type.
8. Select Get Raw Listings. This will display all the information that can be retrieved for the current path.
9. Determine whether the first line(s) should be skipped. Some servers produce headings that need to be ignored. Increase the Lines to Skip value and repeat step 8.
10. Examine the file information. Some servers (such as the AS400) return multiple lines per entry. Beyond FTP can handle a variable number of lines, up to the maximum that you specify. Determine the maximum number of lines and increase the Lines per Entry variable.
11. Examine the first field in the raw data. Press the template key that describes this field. Many fields will be ignored by selecting Donít Care.
12. Look carefully at the character that terminates the field. Edit the template so that the terminating character follows the template name. It must be the first character after the template. Blanks are valid terminating characters. In the example shown in the documentation, the hour field is terminated by a colon.
13. Repeat steps 11 and 12 until every field has been defined. The template should match the raw data exactly. Select the line(s) you wish to test in raw data display and click Format Raw Data. If the template works, you will see formatted data in the bottom window.
14. Determine whether a different template is needed for some lines. For example, UNIX servers return a time for files created in the current year, otherwise they return the year. This requires two different templates. If you need another template to format some of the lines, select the OR button and return to step 11 to define another template.
15. Once the template works for any combination of lines you select, click OK to save it.
16. Pull down the FTP Server Type Information selection and choose your new template. Click OK to store the address.
17. Return to step 3 and expand the file list. You should see correct data.